The Amador Whitney Museum exists to promote an interest in the history and culture of the Mother Lode region among both residents and visitors. It will do this with particular emphasis on the contributions and experiences of women who have lived in the Mother Lode, from the distant past to the present day.
This building, originally the Kling Building is probably the oldest commercial building in town. It dates back to 1860. Throughout the years, it has housed many types of businesses including the Wells Fargo Drayage Company. Most recently, the building was owned by two gentlemen, Jerrold Whitney, and Clayton Pinkerton. Mr. Whitney was a gregarious antique dealer, and Mr. Pinkerton was a well known Bay Area artist. Upon their deaths, they bequeathed the building to the city of Amador to be used as a museum. In 1993 the building became known as the Amador Whitney Museum.