The "Chew Kee" is a Chinese rammed earth structure established as an herb shop during the Gold Rush. Dr. Yee Fong Cheung, an herb doctor who was operating the store in the early years, came to America to administer to the medical needs of the Chinese miners, later also tending to the Chinese railroad workers. In the 1880's a man known only by his store name of "Chew Kee" owned the shop and was providing groceries and supplies to the Chinese community. By 1910, however, there were only four Chinese Americans residing in Fiddletown. In 1922, Chew Kee deeded the property to his "adopted" son, Fong Chow Yow, also know as Jimmy Chow. Jimmy Chow worked in Fiddletown, living in the old herb store until his death in 1965. "Chew Kee" remains largely intact as one of only four remnants of the once thriving Chinese community in Fiddletown.
The store is open on Saturday from noon to 4 p.m., April through October